As property managers and tenancy consultants we deal in a large variety of issues that arise with private landlords. We commonly help landlords who have allowed a tenant to move into a property on the fact they looked trustworthy and honest. Unfortunately this did not turn out to be the case and a dispute has arisen often resulting in a Tenancy Tribunal application.
As this is quite a common view made by landlords who allow tenants to move into their investment without completing an application form and to their detriment a fully completed tenancy agreement, we have created a small list of tips to help limit this problem.
1. Have the tenants complete a full comprehensive application form and thoroughly check their references
2. If using the DBH tenancy agreement form make sure you include the maximum number of occupants who may reside at the property as this is often over looked.
3. If multiple tenants are going to be included on the agreement, have all parties present at the time of signing and make sure you keep a copy of the agreement.
4. Make sure correct financial records are kept.
5. Know your rights and just as important the rights of the tenants.
6. Many more...
If you currently manage your investment privately and have an issue that you need advice on, please contact us and we will ensure you have a clear understanding of the situation and the best way to rectify the issue.
Contact us on 09 360 3248 or find our more at www.tenancysolutions.co.nz