A free bus service from Mangere to Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki will operate every Saturday in August. The bus service is provided to visitors of the Gallery thanks to the generosity of long-time Gallery supporters, the Chartwell Trust.
'The Chartwell Trust has created an excellent opportunity for people in South Auckland to experience one of their city's greatest attractions and to visit Home AKL - a truly unique exhibition of Auckland's Pacific art that many will enjoy,' says Regional Facilities Auckland (RFA) chairman, Sir Don McKinnon.
'Increasing access to the arts is an important part of the Chartwell Trust philosophy,' says Sue Gardiner, Chartwell Trust spokesperson. 'It's a pleasure to be able to provide this bus service and help bring people to the Gallery to enjoy the Home AKL exhibition.'
Ema Tavola, formerly of Fresh Gallery Otara and one of the Associate Curators of Home AKL, will join passengers on the first bus from Mangere Arts Centre to Auckland Art Gallery on Saturday 4 August.
'The free bus service gives people the freedom to enjoy Home AKL and the Gallery as a whole, without having to watch the clock on parking meters or worry about the cost or hassle of driving,' says Tavola. 'The Chartwell Trust has really hit home with this very generous offer and I hope people will take this chance to enjoy a trip downtown to soak up the city's art and culture.'
Buses will leave from Mangere Arts Centre Ngā Tohu o Uenuku at 12pm. Return trips depart from Auckland Art Gallery at 3pm.
- The free bus service will run every Saturday in August - 4, 11, 18, 25
- 12pm DEPARTURE from Mangere Arts Centre - Ngā Tohu o Uenuku, Corner
Bader Drive and Orly Avenue, Mangere
- 3pm RETURN from Auckland Art Gallery to Mangere
- Entry to the bus will be on a 'first on, first served' basis - prior bookings are not available
- Entry to the Gallery is free. Home AKL entry fee: Single adult admission - $5, Friends and concessions - $3 each, kids 14 years and under - free, Season pass - $20.