They only come but once every four years and this year's Olympics is set to be the biggest yet! The live action may be happening on the other side of the world but there's still plenty of buzz going on here for you to get involved in the spirit of the Games.
Watch the London Olympics 2012 Opening Ceremony in style with ANZ! at The Cloud, 7.30am – 11.00am on Saturday 28 July
ANZ invites you to The Cloud on Queen’s Wharf to watch the opening ceremony of the biggest show on earth – the London Olympics 2012! You'll even get the chance to listen to Hamish Carter share his experience of winning Olympic Gold and watch the action live on the big screens. You can also check out the ANZ Olympic Bus, fitted out with the latest technology so you can get a taste of the Olympic experience and send a message of support to the New Zealand Olympic team. Plus, the first 200 ANZ customers at the event will receive a gift of ANZ New Zealand Olympic Team merchandise.
There will also be other fan zones to enjoy Olympic coverage from - inside the Atrium on Takutai Square will have seven separate screens 24/7 throughout the games with a genuine Olympic flame-bearing torch being flown into the zone once the Games are underway. Coverage is also being beamed on to the side of Stanbeth House, in Britomart during the evenings, including a 'Gold Moments' presentation featuring John Walker's epic 1976 Olympic triumph in Montreal.
But if you just want to enjoy watching the Olympics from the comfort of your own home, here's some cool party ideas to get you into the sporting mood.
- Wear the colours of the country you’re supporting and fly their flag high in your garden, off the washing line, from your letterbox or your front window
- Theme your food for the different competing countries - won tons for China, croissants for France or sushi for Japan, you get the idea...
- Theme your decorations for different countries - try paper lanterns for China, paper shamrocks for Ireland or paper maple leaves for Canada
- Dress up as your favourite athlete from past or present Olympic or Paralympic Games
- Host mini games in your backyard like tennis, volleyball and football - there may be an Olympic champion in your midst!
- Go for a Greek theme and dress your room in white and gold, serve finger food such as olives, feta, halloumi and pitta bread with dips such as hummus and tzatziki and turn an old bed sheet into a toga
- Light a candle to represent your own Olympic Flame